Who We Serve
Making an Appointment
Please read this to see if what you need is what we've got:
1. You are a woman, femme, or non-binary person and located in either Illinois or Missouri.
2. You are over the age of 21. We do not treat children, or anyone under the age of 21.
3. You'relooking for help with anxiety, mild or moderate depression, PTSD, Chronic Stress Disorder, a recent adverse event, or simply to manage stress responses and anxiety, explore life, self, dreams, purpose and other non-clinical areas. Please note: If using insurance a clinical diagnosis is required.
5. You have NOT been diagnosed with NOR are you seeking care or treatment for suspected: OCD, ADD, ADHD, Bi-polar Disorder, Autism/ASD, any personality disorder, or any psychosis. Please note for ASD this exclusion may not include those who would under the old system have been diagnosed with Asperger syndrome or Social Anxiety Disorder.
6. If not paying out of pocket you are covered under one of the insurances listed here. Note that each plan must be checked individually. You may ask your insurance company before proceeding; we will also check insurance coverage after consult for fit.
I agree to abide by the Emergency Disclaimer policy.
Margaret A. Howard, LCSW's services are not appropriate for persons needing emergency care. If you are experiencing an emergency at any time before, during, or after treatment, you should call 911 or go directly to your local emergency department for emergency care.
LEAST RESTRICTIVE THERAPEUTIC SETTING DISCLAIMER
Margaret A. Howard, LCSW is what is known as the “least restrictive therapeutic environment,” meaning it works primarily with clients whose issues may be resolved on a limited outpatient basis. As such, there are a variety of presentations, situations, diagnoses, etc. that are not appropriate for treatment at Margaret A. Howard, LCSW because they require additional/different facilities, training, expertise, time, costs, etc. This may include but are not limited to:
• persons who are registered sex offenders
• persons who have the diagnosis or symptoms of certain personality disorders, including but not necessarily limited to Borderline Personality Disorder, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Narcissistic Personality Disorder, and Histrionic Personality Disorder, Schizophrenia or any psychotic disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, any Attention Disorder, and any disorder or condition which Margaret A. Howard, LCSW does not treat
• persons who have a significant history of violence
• persons who have a history of traumatic brain injury and the diagnosis or symptoms of intermittent explosive disorder
• persons who have the diagnosis or symptoms of Autism Spectrum Disorder (this does not include persons who have been diagnosed with what was previously known Asperger’s Disorder nor what is known as Social Anxiety Disorder, both of which are appropriate for our environment)
• persons with a history of opioid use or significant alcohol use or any substance addiction with less than 24 months sobriety/clean time
• persons with active and life threatening eating disorders
• persons who are actively suicidal or homicidal.
Why is all this? Psychotherapy is a specialized practice, and therapists should be trained and expert in the conditions, diagnoses, and concerns they are treating. We specialize in the diagnoses listed in #3. That is our training and focus.
Appointments & Process:
1. Appointment hours are afternoons on Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday, with the last appointment beginning at 4:30. While we understand that some folks need night or weekend appointments, working nights and weekends doesn't fit with our self-care boundaries -- thank you for your understanding.
2. We always begin with once-a-week sessions.
3. Insurances we take are listed here, as are out-of-pocket rates.
4. The process: We will have a (free) 20-minute, secure video consult to determine fit.
5. Contacting for consult: If you call and leave a message, when we call you back the number will show as "Blocked" or "Unknown" or similar, so please check that voicemail. To avoid phone tag you may email. Contact info is at the bottom of every page on this website, and also here.
6. Please be sure to read all of the "Who We Serve" column to the left <-- before requesting a consult.
Thanks so much!